Monday, September 28, 2015

Homemade Almond Milk

I'm a huge fan of Youtube because it is my survival guru. No kidding, I learnt how to cook properly on Youtube, I learnt how to bake on Youtube, I learnt how to put on makeup on Youtube. And today I'm going to share what else have I learnt from Youtube, making my own almond milk.

Almond milk is not common in my place. I know about it from watching Youtube videos of some beauty guru breakfast meal. They brag about how good it is and what a great substitute of dairy milk it is. You can read about the benefit of almond milk here. 

Since almond milk is not readily available and if available, normally cost triple of the normal milk, I decided to make my own. It is so simple and take less than 10 minutes (if you minus the soaking time). I used this guide from The Kitchn and and this video from Youtube.

Ingredients needed are:
1 cup of raw almond
2 cups of water, (more for soaking)
Sweetener like maple syrup, I used honey


Got my raw almond from Farley for RM7 for 100gram. 


Step 1 is to soak the almond overnight or up to 2 days.

I soaked my almond with water for one and a half day. They said the longer you soak your almond, the creamier your milk will be.When soaking the almond, don't put too much water, put just enough to cover all the nuts. Then cover the lid with towel and leave it for at least an overnight. The almond will soaked up the water and become plump. 

After an overnight, your almond water will look like my photo above. Don't worry about whitish bubbles. It is phytic acid released by the almond.


Step 2 is to throw away the soaking water and rinse your almond thoroughly.
At this point, you almond will be plump. Rinse it properly to get rid of the leftover soaking water.

Step 3 is to combine the almond and water in the blender.

1 cup of almond calls for 2 cups of water. Make sure the water is clean and safe for drinking.

Step 4 is to blend the almond and water at high speed.
I blended mine for at least 3 minutes at high speed then stop at interval to check if my almond has broken up properly. I shook the blender gently and continue to blend for another 2 minutes until the water is white and opaque.


I only stopped when froth like above formed.

Step 5 is to strain the almond into cheese cloth or muslin.
I don't have cheese cloth or muslin cloth so I use coffee strainer instead which works perfectly line. Pour the almond into the coffee strainer like my set up above. Remember to put a strainer under your coffee strainer to ensure no almond crumbs get into your milk.

Step 6 is to press the almond.
After pouring the almond into the coffee strainer, gather all of it and twist the coffee strainer off. Then press with all your might to get all the milk into the cup. And lastly, add in honey for sweet taste.

I got 2 bottles of almond milk from the recipe above. Almond milk can be store in refrigerator up to 2 days. As for your almond crumb, you can make a meal out of it. Just google any recipe that using almond crumb.

My total cost for the almond milk is only RM7 which is super cheap and I get yummy homemade almond milk out of it. The recipe is so easy and basically fool proof. You should try it at least once. As for me, why buy if I can make it at home for lesser price.

No comments:

Post a Comment